Thursday 24 October 2013

The Athena Effect (The Athena Effect #1) by Derrolyn Anderson

The Athena Effect (TAE #1) - by Derrolyn Anderson
NB can I just say I LOVE the name Derrolyn? Just....SWOON! Don't be surprised if it comes up in my writing or something ;)


Official Blurb:  

Country girl Cali has been kept a secret her entire life, raised in isolation by two very troubled people. Despite her parent’s disturbing fits, Cal is perfectly content to live as one with the nature that surrounds her, finding adventure inside the pages of her beloved books. When an awful tragedy tears her away from her remote cabin in the woods, nothing she’s ever read has prepared her for a world that she knows very little about.

Girls and motorcycles are what bad-boy Cal’s life is all about. Brought up in a raucous party house by his biker brother, he’s free to do as he pleases, going through the motions on his final days of high school. Aimless, Cal stopped thinking about his future a long time ago.

Attacked by a gang of thugs while running an errand for his brother, Cal is in serious trouble until a fierce girl appears out of nowhere to intervene. She chases off three grown men, sparing Cal a brutal beating before disappearing into the night like a spirit. He can’t stop thinking about his mysterious rescuer, and when she turns out to be the weird new girl at school who goes out of her way to avoid him, he can’t contain his curiosity.

He’s never met anyone like her before, and the more he learns about the unusual girl who shares his nickname, the more he wants to know. Cal can’t help falling for Cal, but can he keep her from falling victim to a dangerous enemy from her parent’s tragic past?

My Review:

ahhh <3

This book is lovely!! Cal and Cal could perhaps be my OTP, and their ship name (Cal!) is, like, SO cool!!

I really like the way that it's not so supernatural that the main character can't share her powers - and that she's not another being! It just makes it.

The sign of a good book in the YA genre is that they can take the same ideas and plot line as everyone else (because, let's face it, there's only about 3 plot lines used in all these books) and make it special. I like to talk about the 'wow' factor - what makes me want to read one book over any other. The wow factor in this would probably be the genre swap thingy.

What genre swap thingy, you may ask. Well, that's kind of simple. It's the way that the heroine is kick-ass, and a heroine at that. She's not helpless by any means and I love the way that she see's everything. It's refreshing to see her view because of her background and really makes me question the world around me.

What did I learn from Cal (boy): From Cal, I learned that you don't have to be who society wants you to be, and that you're always changing. I learned that nothing is concrete and you can truly do whatever you set your mind to.


What did I learn from Cal (girl): From Cal, I learned that it doesn't mean your weak if you need someone else. You can be one of the strongest people in the world and relying on someone or trusting them does not make you weak. And I learned that sometimes self control is necessary.

This book is amazing and inspiring. The whole third person thing annoyed me a little bit , especially for small sections it would sometimes jump perspectives but it didn't really annoy me, it was more of a pet peeve. The Cal and Cal thing also annoyed me at the beginning, but it was fine after a while!

Now while you go and buy and read this book, I'm gonna go buy and read the second!!

Queen of Reading,
Keep on reading, forget the dreaming!


No comments:

Post a Comment