Sunday 6 October 2013

Shatter Me (Shatter Me #1) by Tahereh Mafi

Shatter Me (Shatter Me #1) - by Tahereh Mafi

Official Blurb:

Juliette hasn’t touched anyone in exactly 264 days.

The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette’s touch is fatal. As long as she doesn’t hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don’t fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong colour.


The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war – and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she’s exactly what they need right now.


Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.


My Review:

To be honest, I'm not sure what I think of this book. I read this on recommendation from a friend, and I think I'm glad I read it. To be honest, I'm still recovering. She said this amazing thing - 'Shatter Me shattered me.' and if I had to pick one statement to describe how I feel about the book that's probably it. 

This book took me a while to read, but that could be because I kept getting distracted by my friend who kept asking me stuff. I felt kind of pressured to read it, and so I may not have soaked up everything about it.

The thing that gripped me about this was the writing. It's unconventional and, to be honest, I don't totally understand it. The way it is written is very personal - there are personal touches such as strikeouts which really confused me because they were what she wasn't supposed to think but did anyway...I think which were a very effective technique and there was repetition about important important important points.

Now, you may think I'm mocking her writing style (is it a her) by what I did above, but that was and is not my intent - my intent is just to demonstrate. It's a very effective writing style, and it's pretty much all personal reflection on the world, which makes me think about how I see the world in relation to how the main character sees it.

As to the story, it didn't grip me that much. But I do have to tell you that everyone in this entire book is smokin' hot. Can I get a HALA? Like, seriously. WHY ARE THEY ALLL SO DAMN GORGEOUS AND I'M JUST HERE IN MY SWEATS WITH MY CATS DRINKING A MILKSHAKE?? It was really easy to find myself distracted from the book, or procrastinating with something else.

This book is extremely popular and I can see why, but for me it just didn't do anything. I've been sitting on this review for a few days now, but my perspective remains the same. I hope to re-read this book without someone sitting on me (sorry, friends) and see if that makes a difference, but at the moment my TBR list is full to bursting and being added to everyday. and RELEASES SOON *grins* so I'm getting my re-read on.

Let me know what you guys think, and if you have any suggestions/comments there's a 'Message Me' tab above as well as a space for comments below!!

Queen of Reading,
Keep on reading, forget the dreaming!

No comments:

Post a Comment