Monday 5 August 2013

The Jelly Bean Crisis by Jolene Stockman

The Jelly Bean Crisis - by Jolene Stockman


Official Blurb:

A total meltdown. The whole school watching. Now Poppy’s an ex-straight-A with no Plan B.

When Poppy Johnson throws away a full scholarship to Columbia, she can only blame the jelly beans. The yucky green ones? Midnight cram sessions and Saturday’s spent studying. The delicious red? The family legacy: Columbia, and a future in finance. Except now it’s starting to look like Poppy’s jelly bean theory is wrong. School has been her life until, but maybe it’s time to start living now.


Poppy has thirty days to try a new life. No school, no studying. Just jumping into every possible world. Thirty days to find her passion, her path, and maybe even love. The Jelly Bean Crisis is officially on.

My Review:

This book isn't something I would probably choose to read. I was introduced to the author via a post looking for authors wanting R4R's, and of course I couldn't resist having a go myself, and I'm glad I did!!

The writing isn't perfect - but then again it never is. There were a couple tense things (switching between) but I didn't really notice because I was so focused on the story. On Poppy Johnson, not on me.

This is a book of self-discovery; of testing the boundaries and discovering where life can take you. Poppy's journey was especially inspiring to me as a high-school student currently trying to rough her way through and work out where she wants to be. Ill give you a taste of the plot, because I don't think I can do it justice otherwise.

Poppy Johnson knows where she wants to be; what she wants to do - Finance at Columbia funded by the Denton Scholarship. And she's on that track, through and through, so what happens when The Splinter comes along in the form of sugar coated words? How can you differentiate between what YOU really want and what others want for you?

This book is good and gives a great view of the world, one I value alot and will treasure and take with me through life. The other thing I liked was The Jelly Bean Theory - which is basically delayed gratification. I eat through delayed gratification, but I never thought of applying it to life like Poppy did, which interested me!

A 4 star book, which could easily become 5 stars with a little bit of work on the writing and a little bit of extension of ideas, but worth the devouring read!!

Good job, Jolene, and I look forward to Jawbreaker!

No comments:

Post a Comment